I have also been helping with their home school when Jeanette is here, too (since I have no job!). This experience is causing me to think of how I'd like to school our own children if/when we have them. At this point, selfish as it may sound, I am leaning toward sending them off to school for the sanity of a few quiet hours around the home. And, at this point, I'm thinking I want to still work after having kids. Maybe not until they're older and we have the freedom to send them to school. Perhaps just work part time...probably just part time! But I do know, that the Lord leads different families to do "school" uniquely and it is not right or wrong to do home school, private school, or to send your children off to public school. I can see benefits for all three methods. I am glad, though, that I don't have to make this decision now. That I can wait and see how the Lord leads us when it is time. That He knows just the temperament of children we will have and what kind of mother and father Nic and I will be. How we will handle our children in the home and what we will decide to do for their schooling. I am impressed with Mom's who keep their kids home and teach them. It's a discipline that I'm not sure I'm capable of. In fact, I'm sure I'm not capable of it. I would need so much help...and God's grace!
It's playtime now, a good chance for us to get all our willie's out...Barbie's here I come! ;) A little makebelieve is good for everyone...
That's great you get the feel for it with out it being your own children :) Logan jsut started Preschool and I've suddenly realized how old he's getting and kindergarten is coming soon. That means that we are going to have to figure out what were going to do, crazy! so many things out there.
ReplyDeleteI am with you on your point of view. I've heard mom's say that HSing is the "right" thing to do. I think every family needs to know their kids' needs and their own abilities and capacity. I always thought HSing would be our path but it's not right now. We weren't willing to do it unless we knew we could do it very well. At this point in my life, I would not be the best mom I can be if I home schooled.
ReplyDeleteI am feeling the same as you right now. With Scott being home schooled K-12, I think he turned out pretty well ;) if I do say so myself! But then I also think you and I turned out well too with being in public schools K-college. I am also thankful that this is not a decision we need to make right now because I am not ready for it- Isn't is nice that God knows when we're going to have little ones and what we're going to do with them so we can leave all this up to Him? :) He is SO good. Although I am still not too excited with the prospect of such a big decision some day that will greatly impact our kids. I guess all we can really do is pray, pray, pray and pray some more and trust God's leading the way for us :)
ReplyDelete