Sunday, October 24, 2010

Yet Another Great Weekend

This weekend has been, yet again, really nice and (for the most part) relaxing. We have been blessed these last weeks with these relaxing days in between our busy weeks - it's great - we almost forget the busyness of life for a couple days and then come Monday morning we can take on anything... (except, Nic says, "But I haven't had my Burnin' Love Burger!" ...from Red Robin)

This past week from Thursday until Saturday afternoon was Discover Emmaus Weekend (DEW) where prospective students have a chance to come discover, perhaps for the first time what Emmaus is all about, for a couple days. They have the opportunity to sit in on classes, get engaged in a plethora of activities including intramural sports, experience to some extent student life, eat dining hall meals and all for the pretty low cost of $25...or something rather inexpensive. Anyway, we went and watched the students and DEWers in a volleyball tournament in which, as floors, they dressed up as a theme of their choice and played the games in their costumes. It was a riot! There was everything from athletes to hicks, to a choo choo train, to misc. fairies, to lumberjacks, and so on. It was a lot of fun to watch, not to mention I was sitting with Lauren, Evelyn and Nic...all my favorites! :) We had fun people watching and cheering on our friends as they played.

Saturday, Nic and I just lazied around, he studying and I was reading and doing some of my Luke Bible study. In the afternoon, we went for what felt like a really long walk...only when we drove the route today it was a mere 2 or so miles round trip! Haha, oh well, it was nice to get out into the fresh air and enjoy some peace and quiet. I love times like this where Nic and I can get away just the two of us and have time to talk things over and be together with no other distractions. We are excited for the day when we have our own place again...it has been hard to live with another family, what with the outbursts of screaming or crying...or both... so many times a day. *Sigh* We'll make it!

Last night, I went to the Boom's for a girls night. On the menu were a few different Thai dishes, let's see if I can remember what we had - There were two types of soup, one a vegetable soup with a coconut milk and curry base, hot and sour soup with shiitake mushrooms and fresh green chiles, rice noodles and flavored with lemon grass. There were also two main dishes, one a chicken yellow curry with onions, baby corn, and lots of cilantro, and the other was pork and coconut milk and misc peppers, mushrooms, etc. They were all delicious! And for dessert: Tapioca pudding (a personal fav), since we were watching New In Town with Renee Zelwegger and Harry Connick, Jr. If you haven't seen the movie, it's perfectly appropriate that we would enjoy "Zappy-oca" while watching this movie! ;)

This morning for church, Nic and I helped take care of a couple classrooms of kids during the snack/fellowship time. And then, Nic taught the middle school class...I was moral support! He did great - they responded well and amazed us both with their knowledge and care about the subject he taught on: Spiritual Gifts. I am thankful for how God is growing Nic up and providing opportunities for him to experiment with his own gifting. As for the rest of our Sunday afternoon, there isn't too much to note. We have been doing kinda the same old, same old - reading, studying, napping, etc.



No comments:

Post a Comment